There is a big need in Los Angeles for community. I think there are a lot of people like me who feel lost and unsupported. I want to create a place where people can gather, support each other, and learn something new. These are the major components to my idea:
- Sit Down Restaurant - Waiter service
- Take-out and Fast - Some areas for people who want to just grab coffee and work on their computer or knit
- Events, such as (Film Festival, Live music, Art Gallery, Farmers Market, Speakers, etc.)
- Private area for groups and classes
- Boutique - items from the local community
- Backyard with a Garden, Lawn, and patio
- Charity - Helping schools, children, elderly, homeless, and getting the community to help make change.
I'm excited about also scared going on this journey.
Up till recently, I wasn't sure if that was what I really wanted to do. I tried to start a business a few years ago selling my drawings, but it didn't work out because I didn't have the capital to make merchandise. Also, there wasn't much interest. Even friends wouldn't buy cards or prints, so I gave up. I've experience a lot of rejection and failure in my life, so it was a big blow when it didn't work out. Couple things I realized:
- I don't have the skill set, yet, to run a business successfully. I'm going back to school to get my MBA so that I can learn to be a professional. I talked a few people and they disagree with me, but I know myself and I know my needs.
- A lot of times I get really excited about something, and then when it gets too hard, I give up. Goes back to the first point, I don't have the skill set, yet, to be successful.
- I need help. I need someone to hold my hand through the process. It's overwhelming to even think about the licensing, marketing, and cost. I'm going to see a business mentor next week to help me sort through things.
- I need a network of supporters. I realized that I really don't have a strong community myself. I have very few cheerleaders in my life. I think going back to school will help with that. Also, I'm starting to volunteer and be more involved.
I want to make a real difference in this world and I hope that by opening this cafe, I'll be making a big impact.